Friday, April 8, 2011

Book Reading #47 - Why We Make Mistakes

Chapter 8: We Like Things Tidy

Summary:
In this chapter the author discusses how we like to makes things neater than they actually are. He gives examples such as people recalling maps with straighter roads or rivers than there actually were, or people only remembering the very basic details of a story. 

Discussion:
I never really considered that making something neater was actually making a mistake, but the example with Reno and San Diego shows that over simplification can lead to problems.

Chapter 9: Men Shoot First

Summary:
This chapter discusses how overconfidence (specifically that of men) tends to lead to a large amount of mistakes. Researchers found that men are more likely to speed, trade stocks, overestimate their IQ, and be more trigger happy then women due to man's trend of being overconfident.

Discussion: 
I found this chapter to be somewhat of a conundrum. Either I agree that men are overconfident in which the author is right, or I disagree that I am overconfident (in which case I am simply being a man and am once again overconfidence about my ability to not be overconfident) and the author is still right.

No comments:

Post a Comment