Thursday, February 3, 2011

Book Reading #8 - Design of Everyday Things

Chapter 3: Knowledge in the Head and in the World

Summary:
The author begins by describing four reasons imprecise knowledge can can lead to precise behavior. The reasons are because information is in the world, great precision is not required, natural constraints are present, and cultural constraints are present. He explains all of theses and then discusses and explains the three categories of memory: memory for arbitrary things, memory for meaningful relationships, and memory through explanation. The author ends by explaining the trade-offs between knowledge in the world and knowledge in the head. 

Discussion:
I really enjoyed this chapter. It reminds me of several things i can only remember in precise situations. For example, if I try to sing a song I will most likely not remember all the words but if I hear someone start the song I can almost always magically remember all the rest of it. I tried to see if I could identify the real penny on page 57, but unfortunately I could not.

No comments:

Post a Comment